Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY Projects

During this months LHBC meeting several DIY projects were discussed, and members examples were presented. These types of projects are one of the aspects of home brewing that I like the most, being able to make your own equipment to suit your particular needs.

Sure you can go out and buy the following items, but it is also great fun to make them for yourself.
Over the next year or so I will be attempting to make a few of the following items:

Counter-flow chiller and/or pre-chiller for immersion coil
Yeast starter stir plate
3-tier stand
Electric powered grain mill

I've already made my own immersion chiller which works well for the most part. However, during the summer months when the ground water is pretty warm it takes quite a while to chill 5 gallons of wort to pitching temperature. I'm either going to have to add a pre-chiller using another coil and cooler to that, or go with the counter-flow. I haven't decided quite yet which way to go.

I'll be posting each project as I tackle it, and will feature pictures from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment