Saturday, December 29, 2012

Yeast Washing

So, I put the Slam Dunkle (Dunkleweizen) into a keg last night. It should be ready in a few days.

That allowed me to utilize my new pressure cooker to sanitize jars for washing the yeast cake.


This was a dry yeast packet from one of the last beer kits I have bought. I didn't take much note of which company it was from, or yeast strain, my notes only said 'German Wheat'.

Well, now I have 4 'German Wheat' yeasts to use in the future. The process itself was simple enough, I'll be doing this again with the yeast from Ranger Danger, as well as Brown Turkey. I think I have just enough mason jars for those 3 yeast cakes. I may in the future just save two jars instead of the 4 I got out of the Dunkle.

With liquid yeasts from White Labs, or Wyeast running in the $6 - $8 range, this should be saving me a good portion of the cost of future brews.

No comments:

Post a Comment