Saturday, December 15, 2012

Brew Day

Brewing the Northern English Brown today. Cold and rainy out so looks like I will be in the garage.

I'll also be smoking some baby back ribs, as well as a turkey breasts. The garage is going to smell awesome!



UPDATE: Okay, all done with the brew. Started heating water at 8 AM. Crush grains, mash, sparge, boil, chill, cleanup. 1:30 PM. Not to bad if I do say so myself.

In between brew activities, I prepped 3 slabs of ribs and a turkey for the smoker. Started those around 10 AM. They should be done around 3 PM or so.

The Northern English Brown has been dubbed 'Brown Turkey'. My target gravity was 1.052 based on the brew calculator. One thing I did was crush the grains a little be finer this time. It looked even better than the last one. I had a large majority of half husks for setting the grain bed, but this time around very few of those husks had any malt clinging to the inside.

I think this might have increased my efficiency, as I came out at 1.066 OG. Thats quite a bit higher than I would have expected from the grain bill using my BrewR calculator, but maybe someone else can run numbers for me and give me a different idea on what I could have expected.

Here is the grain bill:
8lbs Marris Otter
1lb Victory
.5 lb Caramel 120L
.25 lb Chocolate

I did a yeast starter on the WLP002 that I'm using on this beer so hopefully fermentation will start a bit quicker than the last brew. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment